Team Lead / Sr. Developer (Ruby on Rails)
Kitchener, ON - Full-Time
Harled is a small, boutique software development team based in Kitchener, Ontario specializing in Ruby on Rails. Since forming in 2017, we have delivered projects for national defence, Indigenous reconciliation and tooling for high-performance teams. We believe in the missions of our partners, and are proud of the work that we do to support them.
Are you passionate about technology, leading a small team and working closely to deliver a world-class product? How about partnering with some of the coolest and most unique clients in Canada? If yes, then we're excited to meet you and hear about your approach to software development, mentoring and keeping code fun.
We're looking for a team lead / senior developer to join the team and take our projects to the next level. We use, and love, Ruby on Rails and believe in doing things the "Rails way". We also take great pride in delivering a developer experience that is second to none.
In your role you will manage the technology strategy for the team, identify key activities to stay ahead of the curve and selectively lead experiments to grow our capabilities. You will also be responsible for tuning and managing our development workflow, from intake to production.
This position brings with it an incredible opportunity to make the team your own.
- An opportunity to work with the coolest partner - our clients
- Huge opportunity to drive meaningful and immediate change
- A small, tight-knit company with a great culture
- An understanding environment that embraces personal and professional growth
- Sweet office space at the Communitech Hub in Kitchener, ON
Remuneration & benefits:
- $95k-150k based on experience
- 2 weeks of paid vacation (full-time employees)
- Health Spending Account (full-time employees)
- This role is eligible for up to 10% performance bonus
- Team lead for a small team (5-7 members)
- Own the technical strategy and roadmap for the project
- Interface directly with the Product Owner and client stakeholders on a regular basis
- Lead by example, developing features across the entire stack using Ruby on Rails
- Drive code quality through code reviews, pair programming, architecture and coding practices
- Establish a strategy to keep tech debt at bay (and pay back some existing debt)
- Evaluate and implement changes to improve our development workflow
- Mentor junior developers through activities like 1:1s and pair programming
- A strong drive to improve Canada through software development
- 3+ years in an intermediate or senior development role
- 2+ years experience working in a DevOps environment
- 2+ years experience working with a container based technologies
- Experience with: Ruby on Rails, Django, Symfony, Laravel or similar frameworks
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- The capability to be a team player that loves to win
- Strong attention to detail
- Drive culture of speed and quality
- Ability to thrive in small community environment
- Solid ability in both written and verbal communication
- Ability to solve complex issues
- Ability to multi-task with proven time management skills
- Upbeat can-do attitude with a high sense of urgency and desire to make things happen
- Ability to be resourceful and proactive when issues arise
- Possess professional and solid work ethic
- Ability to meet assigned key performance indicators (KPI) in the timeline expected
Our dream candidate also has:
- Experience working in a startup
- Experience with a medium sized Ruby on Rails application
- A track record of mentoring motivated junior employees
- Experience with the Department of National Defence
Hours of work:
- You are expected to work a minimum of 40 hours per week, with a bulk of the time during core working hours of 9am to 5pm EST, Monday through Friday. Due to the nature of the role, additional hours and hours outside of core working hours may be required and will be discussed on an as-required basis.
- On Call - Pager assignments shall mean a specific period of time in which an employee is required to be near their computer with an internet connection to respond in a timely manner to a specific service need.
We're excited to meet you and to start the conversation to evaluate if we're a fit to do great things together!
Please Note: We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
Disclaimer: Harled Inc. is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and employees or applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by federal, provincial, or local law.